- Take Action
- Connect with Us
- Photo Gallery
Student/Partner Alliance (S/PA) was developed informally in the late 1980’s by one individual, Tom Cash. Initially, Cash sought to assist inner-city students by paying college tuition expenses. However, upon learning that many high school students were not being adequately prepared to achieve the grades and test scores that would qualify them for college scholarships, he shifted his focus to improving the high school experience. Cash then decided to personally provide scholarships for 10 needy youngsters at a private school in Jersey City where college scholarship awards were higher for their graduates than for public school graduates. As friends and business associates learned of what Tom was doing, they began providing scholarships as well. More people became interested and the program was formally incorporated in 1993 as Student/Partner Alliance, with the objective of helping as many inner city high school students as possible.
Two of S/PA’s board members have been awarded Points of Light awards by the Points of Light Foundation, with recognition by two United States Presidents.
- Over 1660 students have graduated from their neighborhood private high school with the assistance of a S/PA scholarship
- Our individual partner base and mentoring individuals continues to grow
- Our Corporate/Foundation supporters has grown to 24
- Our Junior Mentoring program has grown to over 25 individuals; our overall mentoring program has expanded
- S/PA sponsored events (for student/supporter interaction) has increased to at least 4 per academic year
- Our alumni share their success by completing the cycle and returning to mentor or partner S/PA students
Self-Sufficiency Through Education
561 Springfield Avenue Summit, NJ 07901 phone: 908-522-0405 or 908-522-0406